View Single Post
Unread 12-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #48
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default I agree with Don.

Althought not a great design for large quantity manufacture, I agree that every nuance of the extractors design has a reason behind it! As for the Swiss extractor, it seems to be identical with the exception of the hole for retention rather then the small spur that protrudes from the bottom. I have had some few applications where there was enough clearance for the Swiss extractor to fit and work freely, most of the time, no...
But, whe I removed this extractor, I found that the spring OAL had been reduced by at least a third, which reinforces my theory that the tab stops on the breech block are there to prevent overcompression of the small coil spring that was used? And BTW, when I checked the Luger initially for head space, the action closed easily on the "NO-GO" gauge? I replaced the breechblock with a Mauser one, probably "byf" and ended up replacing the middle toggle pin and rear toggle part to get the proper head space back into tolerance... With the ramp correction and all the rest, the Luger is now smooth and snappy and I have every confidence that it will work properly at the range. Of course, I remember that thoughtfull phrase, Optimism-Is Going after Moby Dick in a Rowboat and taking Tartar Sauce With You! I will keep all in the loop as we progress! BTW, Santa was good to me, shorts, colorful socks, a Marvin the Martian tee shirt! (from a disitant planet not to far from here) Suspenders, and chocklate covered cherries! Last but not least, a bottle of Crown Royal which is directly tyed to my problem solving sessions... Now who can top all that! Meeerrryy Christmas! Ho, de, hoho,,,, best, til...lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: