View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #20
MarkC
User

Ron,

Most of the buckles I have seen at gun shows are "bring backs" from GI's. The old buckles and trade buckles are from dealers in Europe I have been in touch with over the years. A well known author and dealer in Belgium sold me the "old" trade union buckles.

A great book is by John R. Angolia, Belt Buckles & Brocades of the THIRD REICH, published by R. James Bender Publishing... (408) 225-5777. (John has many other books on uniforms, etc.... many of you may be familiar with his work)

John in a private e-mail told me he had to cut the size of the book down because of publishing reasons. It is hard cover and 655 pages... very informative, the chapters on repros and fakes are invaluable!! Many color photos of the brocades.... and he with authograph a copy at no charge!!!

My first interest in belt buckles was with a soft cover book (now out of print) by Thomas Reid and John Mauer entitled "German Belt Buckles 1919-1945" .. revised edition from 1979. (Published by Lancer Militaria in Houston ... and I bought my first few buckles from them) It has drawings of the buckles and is still very current, just wish I had more money in those days.............

Good Hunting!!!

Mark

P.S. Unlike the Lugers, P38's and other guns we love.... there are no import markings on belt buckles nor any restrictions for an import permit or marking!! Just have the shipment insured and tracked also, get ready for the call to customs (where is my shipment?) ... I once had a custom official help me with what was on the import declaration as they did not know what a "tab" was.... so we changed it to a "piece of cowhide leather" attached to the buckle ... the next day I got my buckles .... no BS !!
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote