Thread: First Luger
View Single Post
Unread 07-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
4 Scale
User

On some pistols it is difficult to tell if the piece has been refinished. Photos of the inside of the side plate and the entire bottom of the toggle would help, as would more photos outside in natural light. Please include a top views, barrel underside, frame front and front grip strap. If your camera will do it, very close up photos of markings and any corrosion will help judge finish.

From what you have I cannot say if finish is original or not, but I see some things that make me suspicious. Lack of slap marks on both sides always raises a question. Barrel seems worn, but the one grip strap seem uniform; usually the grips show the most finish loss probably due to moisture etc. from holding. When I see things that raise questions it makes me want to look further.

In your full gun photos I can definitely see the magazine pins are convex, so to Norme's comment you have an unnumbered Haenel Schmeisser magazine that was issued after your pistol was manufactured. It is common for Mauser Lugers like yours to have magazines that were not issued with the gun but were issued during the general era, so it not a big deal. IMO that is a very desirable magazine in the marketplace as it "matches" late war pistols that were issued without numbered magazines.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: