View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:00 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Hi Bill! Good questions!.....

First let me say, I do not, and will not, take your questions in the wrong light...to the contrary, I think they are well stated, and to the point! I will try to answer them, using my opinion and thoughts, as best I can, from my point of view.... First, as in the past, I've always felt that you and I could almost switch places in most of our discussions, and not even skip a beat, (this ain't going to be one of them!) as I can sense how strongly you feel about your points, most likely before they are even stated.... I have always felt that you are a great asset to the forum, and can "run with the dogs" in practically every area of the Luger field......So, with the same request, that you don't take any of this personally, I will try my best..... As Jerry Burney stated in another post, we walk a fine line with our abilities and skills, I (like Jerry) try to make perfect museum restoration quality parts... I don't feel as though I am making second quality parts, I feel that I am making brand new high quality luger parts! As such, I want them to be correct for every application, from function thru appearance... I don't like to mark my work, and I really don't like it when others mark theirs! I really don't like marks at all!! If I were king of the forest, I would make every part, and wouldn't mark any of them!! I love the luger from a completely different view point then most others, and that is from a mechanical, production, problem solving, assembled, machined, piece of asthetically pleasing piece of art point of view! This puts me one hell of a long ways from what collectors consider important... and puts me real close to what people like John V Martz, Mike Krause, Art Buchannan, and Ted Green and many others, think is important, and that is the best part possible (again, both in appearance and function) at a reasonable and affordable price, for the luger pistol!

I am not totally unsympathetic to the collectors concerns... It is just that, in my gun show years, I have seen terrible displays of veterans and their families (and rookies), getting bent over backwards by unscrupulous dealers, collectors, and speculators alike! They would then turn it (the pistol) for two to three times the price, or trade at an elevated figure, all the while bragging about the great deal they made... As long as the original owner was kept ignorant, it was justified as OK because everybody was happy! I got the feeling all was not right with the world, especially in the collecting arena... So, with that experience, I decided that everyone is ultimatly on there own, in the collecting field, and better off for it... The rookies have to learn the hard way, just as all the seasoned collectors did... there is no hand holding in collecting, and as the prices go up and the Lugers diminish, the issue becomes even more confused... the forum is great for sharing knowledge, but applying that knowledge at the time of purchase is quite another thing when you have to ---- or get off the pot! Bill, you are safe, as is Tom, and many others, you guys are quite safe... I think you have paid your dues, and are at the top of your game, you can help all by sharing your knowledge, (as you have done so many times in the past) rookies and advanced collectors alike benifit from your input... but putting marks on parts is sort of like gun control, the effort is misplaced ... All the above is my opinion only...don't want to torque anyone off, but that the way I see it!...till...later....G.T.