View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:06 PM   #9
bill m
User

Default Nice post!

Hi GT,

Liked your post.

I have some questions about ethic's though, and I'm not trying to put you or anyone else on the spot, but just want to bring up this question and get an honest answer if possible. So please do not take this personal and do not get mad as it is just a question asked in very broad tems to all the great craftsman out there. --

Why is it that the craftsman making stuff just put some puny little trademark on their product in some hidden place, or do not mark them at all? The rear Navy sight is a great example as discussed in the thread below. If it is to enhance shooters and to make an affordable navy, why not mark the sight on the OUTSIDE in such a manner that it could not be removed without damage to the sight? --- This has been discussed before, but we all know that a lot of this reproduction stuff is ending up back on the market represented as original issue. It is represented a lot of times to fool the novice collectors. -- So, I guess my question is: Why is it that reproductions or restorations are not marked BOLDLY in such a way that they reflect the pride of one's workmanship and so that they can not be confused with an original? I just feel that a lot of craftsman are playing it both ways -- protect themselves with a puny little mark if anyone asks, and then sells to other craftsman who they know are using their product to misrepresent an item. -- Seems like there are only two groups of people on this issue -- the extremes on both ends, and not many in the middle. Some are very concerned about fakes and people getting stuck with worthless junk, and some only care about their shooters and don't care what else happens. -- I've been saying this for years, but you craftsman can't have it both ways all the time -- take some pride in your workmanship and put a stamp on it that can't be removed in 5 seconds. Make a stand of some kind against fakes and reproductions being represented as originals, being used to fool people -- You can't have it both ways!

Sincerely, Bill Munis