View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Bill_in_VA
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
I personally find it "difficult" to have a gun I'm not going to shoot. I've accumulated about 11 Lugers so far, and am of the mindset to shoot all of them, although not often. I've said before, that I replace the extractor and firing pin with non-matching spares before I head to the range, as those are the most likely parts to fail. If something major breaks, so be it. It just doesn't make sense, for me anyway, to have guns laying about that aren't going to get used, at least once in a while. I've got a Browning M-2 50 cal machine gun that's worth about 35 to 40k, it goes to the range and gets used periodically, about a thousand round a year. It's what I bought it for. I'm personally willing to accept the risk. Others are not. I think most P-08's will far outlast their owners, even if they are shot fairly regularly. If I'm going to collect stuff to look at, I'll collect antique currency. But, that's just me. To each their own.
“Risk” and “value” are mutually exclusive as far as I’m concerned. I own a lot of guns and shoot a lot of guns, including several transferrable machine guns, but I don’t shoot everything I own. It’s not because of the relative value of the gun; my transferrable Thompson is worth more than any ten of my Lugers yet I shoot it regularly. Likewise, out of the couple dozen Lugers I own I have only three that I consider shooters - a nickle-plated 1915 DWM, a grossly mismatched AE, and an import-stamped byf42. I can’t tell the difference between shooting my 1913 Erfurt and my 1913 DWM so what’s gained by shooting both (beyond saying I’ve shot both)?

It’s only original once, and if I break a numbered part, it’s a huge pain searching for a replacement and even if I eventually able to find a matching replacement, it’s not the same to me. Shoot the shooters and collect the collectibles.
My .02
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post: