View Single Post
Unread 09-15-2005, 03:47 AM   #12
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Big Norm,

The 6" barrel on this gun is proofed with a c/N, no military marks. In addition to the lazy c/n on the left receiver and left frame rail, the breechblock is stamped with a c/N on the top surface.

For comparison, my Simson rework of a 1st Issue DWM is stamped c/N on the right frame and barrel, no commercial proof on the receiver or breechblock.

To my mind, this gun fits the description I cited above in Gibson as a Weimar-era export gun--call it a "1920 Commercial" for lack of a better term. My book-larnin' exercise suggests to me that Krieghoff is the most likely of the knowable connections.

To my mind also, this gun is more that "just " a shooter. I went through this mental exercise after I bought my 1912 Erfurt which had been rebarrelled with a commercial--GERMANY marked only--Artillery barrel. It took several days and several correspondents wiser than I to convince me that this was representitive of a legitimate variation and I should not rebarrel it. So I think it is with the gun at hand.

Also, in defense of the seller, I think it is worthwhile to review the circumstances. The tableholder was an old codger (descriptive, not perjoritive), obviously not a dealer. The gun was clearly displayed with a sign saying Not For Sale; it was well into the conversation before he allowed as to how he might be willing to sell if he heard the right offer. Maybe he was just cleverer than me and Bob. If I recall correctly, the conversation never got as far as taking the gun down, there was simply the consideration of further contact before we all parted ways. I don't know if Bob has followed up yet or not.

I'm interested in how this progresses.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote