View Single Post
Unread 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Rick W.
User

I reckon another simplistic approach could be just to measure a few vintage takeoff barrels on the lathe. Looks like could do that within reason. Sometimes information can be right before us within reason.

Put the perceived vintage barrel of the day in the chuck and zero out to the chamber perimeter. Most of us have the 0.0001" test indicators and adjust true chucks to support that. Then twist the compound until the indicator reads zero again with the stylus on said ramp. My mind is interested, but my body right now.......is not; so just throwing out a concept.

Not a lot of run on the ramp or extractor cut, but oughta give some idea of the original thoughts. Probably just one of those curiosities, what is a degree between friends?, I doubt if I could cut two of them alike on the same setup anymore........

To some, steeper angle means less exposure. I suspect if G.T. does some of that, it was with some research and soul searching about being proper and the bottom line..........safe. Maybe he even(heavy conjecture inserted) that he now has the compound rotary cutter we visited about long ago to do the ejector slot in one swoop.............
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote