View Single Post
Unread 05-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Rick W.
User

I have used the 100 gr Speer Plinker in the 30 Luger, but it has been a while. I remember seeing the useage of said bullet in the 30 Luger in which a Handloader article reference was given for loading info; but that has been years ago.

There are always times when components are scarce. When I tried the Speer bullet, one could not find much in cases or bullets for the 30 Luger. So the useage of odd bullets and making cases came to light if I wanted to shoot the Lugers. Such comes and goes, glad reloading allowed me to continue to shoot.

I believe if you search the net for "30 Luger speer plinker loads" that some info will come up, as usual compare to your own references and basic common reloading sense; fake news or miss typed critical things you know or flat did not write what they thought they meant.

I do not remember any issues with the exposed lead nose in feeding in my Lugers. I never thought about depth into the case in those days, but obviously, less volume effects pressures. One would suspect that starting low per 90+gr bullet references, or a bit less; and work up with the 100. Please use discretion.

I have reserved my real 30 Luger shooting in vintage examples of Luger pistols, ie ones that I have not taken apart yet for rebarreling. I have come use to what was called here, the 7.65x19; which is the full length 9mmx19 case necked up to 30 caliber. 30 Luger dies are shortened and the 30 Luger finish reamer run in short appropriately. Getting older, I do not bother picking up my wildcat cases as one pass thru the shortened dies is it to forming fwiw. Real 30 Luger cases are more $ than range 9mm cases bought by the bucketful.

All I have now is a local indoor range, and lead bullets are no more there, so delving into resizing bullets as well as buying the more expensive 309 pistol bullets. Used Lee lead cast bullets for a while, but the new rules.......

I have come to settle on Unique for my 30 cal Lugers, perhaps not the best choice for clean, but I think the slower burning powder allows the action to work easily, sorta an orchestration rather than a quick jam, just my opinion there.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: