View Single Post
Unread 12-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My brother-in-law lived a stones throw from the Higgins factory. He vividly recalls the boats rolling off the assembly line, launched into the industrial canal and set out to test. As a child, he had no idea what they were, but certainly a bit strange looking as compared to the other boats that were built.
In another matter, on the East theater exhibit, there is a tribute to Colonel Jefferson DeBlanc. He was awarded the Congressional Metal of honor for his efforts in a dog fight over the Solomon islands. He was my math teacher in high school; a wonderful individual. He was a ham radio operator, and at that time I had an interest in ham radio and studying for my ticket. I spent several hours at his home studying and observing. On one visit, he walked behind me as I sat at his rig and placed the medal around my neck. The history channel has done a re-enactment of his activities and ultimate survival on an island in the pacific. I highly recommend google "Jefferson DeBlanc", and search for "dog fight".
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Mike B for your post: