Thread: Krieghoff P 59
View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2006, 02:54 AM   #42
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

OK, I am almost certainly talking through my hat here since Krieghoffs are WAY out of my league, but here are some observations and I will await comment from those who know what they are talking about.

The chamfer in the toggleknob holes is typical Krieghoff and looks OK to me. Also, the star looks like a stamp and not an engraving to me.

So much for the positives, now for the display of my ignorance.

One thing that bugs me a little bit is the apparent uneven radius around the forward toggle link to breechblock pin, or is it just my eye?

Now for the way out WAGs:

Except for the sideframe inscription, which looks kosher to me, this piece shouts DWM. Lets start with the toggle logo. The arms of the anchor extend beyond the HK monogram. On all the die types in Gibson except Type A, the right arm of the anchor points directly to the bottom of the right leg of the K. It isnâ??t a Die Type A because the handle of the dagger is too long and the blade is symmetrical and not flat on the left side. To me it looks like the logo on the totally DWM produced serial #9124i shown in Gibson and Kenyon (a really rare example and may be a prototype).

Next, the breechblocks also smack of DWM. The bottom forward part of the bolt face on a Krieghoff is very nearly uniformly round. On a DWM there is a pronounced flat at the bottom. On the 7.65 example, it is clearly present. On the 9mm example it is a little less pronounced but definitely there. As an aside, the hole in the bottom of the breechblock I have only seen on those modified by the Finnsâ?¦just an observation.

Lastly, the stock lug groove looks more DWM than Krieghoff. The runout at the top is a little more pronounced than usually encountered, but has the appearance of DWM rather than the nice finished stop of a Krighoff.

That's my story...fire away.