View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

There are Luger variations which are so uncommon, and so difficult to authenticate, that I won't consider owning them--GL Lugers, Russian crossed rifles, etc.--because I simply don't have the background or experience to evaluate. The Death's Head pistols are in that category. However...

This pistol began life as an LP08. After the war it was reworked into a standard P08 at some facility in or near Suhl: the commercial profs are those of he Suhl proof house. In 1953 the pistol was again reworked, this time by the East German Deutsche Volkspolizei (VoPo), as witnessed by the new barrel and barrel number and the DVP armorer's mark on the receiver.

Thus, the removal of the chamber date and the addition of the Death Head stamp would of necessity have occurred at some point during the Weimar era. Its appearance after the initial rework and before the DVP rework is historical evidence that the Death Head organization was definitely of the Weimar period. Its appearance on an East German pistol reworked from storage is convincing evidence of its period application.

I am sufficiently convinced of its authenticity that I considered buying it. At three days before the auction its online bid surpassed my maximum, so I reluctantly passed.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post: