View Single Post
Unread 07-05-2002, 07:39 AM   #1
Luke
User

Post Serial Number Overstrike - with Picture

Just bought a 1911 DWM which seems TOTALLY authentic in every way, but one of the digits in the barrel SN is a clear overstrike. See pic below.

From the picture it is clear that the â??8â? was an overstrike, although it is difficult to determine what the underlying digit could be.

I have examined this Luger in great detail, and I am convinced that this overstrike was the result of an error during the original manufacturing process and not an attempt to renumber a replacement barrel.

1. The gun appears TOTALLY authentic and unaltered in any way.
2. I have taken this gun into the sun and looked at the bluing on the barrel, receiver, and frame. It is impossible to see any differences in color or consistency.
3. The barrel has the normal amount of honest wear on the left and right side of the muzzle consistent with the remainder of the gun.
4. The barrel/receiver alignment mark is extremely precise, even under very high (1200 dpi) magnification.
5. The entire serial number seems to have the expected frosting appropriate to the age of the Luger.
6. The fonts or characters used in the barrel serial number, including the â??8,â? appear to be identical, under high magnification, to those used on the remainder of the gun.

Has anyone else ever seen such an overstrike on an honest Luger?