View Single Post
Unread 12-21-2020, 03:17 AM   #6
grantman
User

Default TC Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs View Post
Vlim is correct although the change to a round nose ball cartridge came in 1916. The War Ministry directive was dated 22 March, 1916, and all existing stocks of TC cartridges were to be used in practice; i.e., training. Changeover, of course, took time but it should have been completed before 1917.

The Allies claimed that the TC bullets violated the 1899 Hague Convention that forbid the use of ammunition designed to cause unnecessary damage and suffering. It was propaganda but Germany decided to make the change for - as Vlim says - political reasons. G&S has a section on the changeover.

Interestingly, the United States has never signed the Hague Conventions part restricting the kinds of cartridges it uses. However, the U.S. has pretty well complied... until recently. Along with the adoption of their new Sig 9mm pistol, they have adopted the M1152 cartridge that uses a truncated cone bullet much like the original German Army Luger cartridge. What's old is now new again.
Perhaps because they feed well....I cast a 124 gr. TC (Lee) that feeds beautifully in reduced 9mm loads in my PO8s. Thanks!
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote