View Single Post
Unread 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I have seen some holsters like that, and I was told that they were fixed up after the war, possibly by Russian arsenals.
Olle, you mention an interesting possibility. Given this was a GI bring back, I wonder if the Russians would have possessed it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
It's a little shiny but doesn't look spray painted to me. Wouldn't the roller buckle be painted too?

Is there any overspray under the top? I didn't see any. Could be just a wax.
LHR, perhaps if my photography skills and equipment were better, you would be able to see the paint like product that was applied much more clearly. I am able to use my finger nails to flake off some of the hard black 'paint' or whatever it is. The paint does not adhere to the finished leather very well in some of the spots I chose to experiment with scraping a little of it off.

Yes, the buckle was painted. I did begin to meticulously thumb nail off some of the crusty, flaky paint from the buckle, when I decided to smarten up and seek some advice from the forum before I damaged the possible historic value of the painted holster.

I do believe that the product was sprayed on because there is a run in the 'paint' between the belt straps from over application. Regretfully, the run or drip of the paint is not very clearly shown in the photo I provided. But, it is noticeable with the naked eyeball examination when holding the holster. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
This looks like roll-on shoe polish to me. I cannot recommend anything to remove it without endangering the holster itself, but much of it may wear off in time.
alanint, yes, it could be a polish like product with some paint characteristics. But, the product used on the holster appears thinner and very much suggesting to me that it was sprayed applied. On my dress shoes I use a black roll-on type shoe sole trim product that hardens and works well on the visible portion of the shoe soles. It is very different than regular shoe polish, as it hardens and coats much more like paint. Still this stuff on my holster is much more brittle and chips and flakes off like a bad paint job with no prep work. LOL

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts on my mystery product. I also have be researching threads on this forum to increase my knowledge of holster care. I am learning so much in my short time here. Again, thank you.

I am planning a trip to Simpsons LTD gun shop that is a few hours drive from where I live. I may take the holster to them and get there opinion. Anyway I believe it prudent to leave the holster alone until I get more education on the matter. I'll keep every one posted.
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote