Thread: 1936 Krieghoff
View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
StarOfTheWest
User

Thanks Heinz, for some great ideas.
I really know *nothing* about photography, and I am afraid it shows.

I borrow a digital camera from my house assistant, and then have to ask him to upload the pics to our website and give me a web addy for them.
From there, I can download to my computer, then upload to the site here.
Takes a while, one at a time, but I am getting the hang of it, I think.

The Simson, I took the pics out on our front porch, on a white background, but the contrast was way too much for the camera, and I do not like dragging the guns outside, even one at a time, for passersby to glimpse.

I next tried getting getting the pics on a daybed in a 1920s sunroom with very bright indirect light.
I used a navy blue towel and a dark denim pillow as background.
The pics came out better for contrast and such, but the towel had lint on it, and this bothered me, as I hated showing close ups of lint.

I changed the background to a woven large pillow sham, (the red one), to keep the dark color, but not show any lint, and I agree, the pattern is a bit much.

I will try to adapt some of your good advice, but it is unlikely that I can build such a nice dedicated spot at this time.
Your pics are fabulous though, so I will try to do what I can to improve mine.
I will try to find another background, and the amount of bright indirect light seems to vary with the time of day in the sunroom.

Tripods vex me, so I have been trying to do this freehand.
Sometimes it takes a few tries to get one clear and sharp that didn't move.

I am aware that the quality of the pics is all the board has to go on to enjoy these guns with me, and that they are not doing the pieces justice at the moment.

Thanks again, for your excellent suggestions and the pic of the Wunderwaffen box.