View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
Imperial Arms
Banned

Gerben & Mauro,

Thank you for comments which are welcomed on this interesting topic.

Gerben, I agree with your point #1, #2 and #4, but I tend to disagree with your point #3. I cannot determine if German standardization and production were based on American methods, nonetheless, German quality excelled those of American factories. It was important to the German people, the workers and the Armed forces to receive high quality products, no matter its size.

If a collector wishes to be specific regarding which type of sight adjustment tool was used during WWI for the LP-08, I could say with a high degree of confidence that it would be one with a wooden handle. Why would a German firm change a design of a tool that functions perfectly in the first place? When the adjustment screws were eliminated on the LP-08 sights in 1917, what would have been the reason to make so many different types of tools afterwards (even into WWII) when LP-08 pistols no longer had adjustment screws after WWI? If we accept that surplus LP-08 pistols were pressed into service after WWI (in other countries as well), I do not believe that so much attention would be placed into the production of sight adjustment tools for a pistol that was going to receive limited use. As we tend to agree, a sight adjustment tool was likely included in an armourer's repair kit in WWII (which not many were produced and afterwards survived), so why do we encounter so many of the poor quality variations? Obviously, somebody is making them and many collectors want to believe that they are original? What criteria would you use to distinguish between an original and fake sight adjustment tool? Before WWII, the quality in German firearm companies was not lowered, so other types of sight adjustments have to be scrutinized.

Mauro presents a good theory about the T-shape tool, but if this tool was made pre-1945, I guess that its purpose was for adjusting sights of carbines if the sights were equipped with fine adjustment screws. My knowledge with rifles/carbines is small, so I am not sure what configurations were available at that time.

To summarize, if a collector wants to buy an original sight adjustment tool that was for the LP-08 used in WWI, I would recommend leaning towards a tool with a wooden handle instead of one of the other suspicious variations. Collecting is all about a person's level of satisfaction and how much he wants to spend!

Have fun,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote