View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Hello friends,
I would like to add to this interesting discussion a few points.

So far, I was not able to find out any clear evidence of this tool in any historical document (pictures, manuals, blue-printsâ?¦) therefore it is difficult, at least for me, propose a definitive statement on it.
Consequently, I can only basis my assumption on speculation. On this basis, I will say that I agree with Albert about the fact that the â??originalâ? tool needs to be easy to grip and use (and I agree with Gerben too, when he is saying that the field gunsmiths were not working in the first line). For this reason, I will not put â??a prioriâ? the T tool in the â??not genuine WWI militaryâ?. In fact, to me, the T tool can offer the same advantages in term of â??gripâ? that the wooden-handle one.

Just for information, when in 1986 Mauser decided to commemorate the LP08, it decided to associate as sight adjusting tool a T model (see picture above).

The tools proposed by Pat in the picture are the same proposed in my book (same source) and, if I remember correctly, the one on the right is stamped with a gothic letter.

I hope this helps.

Have fun.

Mauro