View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Albert,

I'll go with you to a certain degree but I'll have to make some comments:

Nr. 1: Nobody was expected to turn the sights in harsh conditions. The gunsmiths usually set up shop at a sheltered location and privates were not expected to mess with the sights.

Nr. 2: The adjusting screws will not be unique to the LP08, they would have found their way onto other equipment, also needing to be adjusted.

Nr. 3: German quality is mostly based on myths. Lack of self initiative and the ease with which people tended to shift responsibility to the one above them led to some pretty idiotic rules, regulations and contraptions. German standardization and production methods were based on American methods.

Nr. 4: Contrary to popular belief, the LP08 managed to outlive WW1 and the Versailles treay without much problems. Surplus guns were pressed into service in other countries and many were stored for later use.

Therefore I won't pass most of them off as them fakes that easily, In my opinion many are adjusting tools, just not LP08 adjusting tools. Of course, there will be recent copies or fantasy pieces, but it's too easy to discard everything that doesn't look like one tool as a fake or copy.

It's an area that needs further investigation, that's for sure.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote