View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Big Norm and Grappa..!

A few comments... The 1940 variation is one of the most prevalent of the "late production" post the original contract of Military 10,000 Krieghoffs - and the majority of the 1938 production - and all of 1939 were "Commercial". The exception being the estimated 50 "1938" Krieghoffs, of which there are fewer then 21 that have been verified to even exist.

Anyway - 1940s are going for $5000+, and ones in the condition you see ar fetching $6000+ in the market today. The $3500 hammer price is even lower then a "common" "1936" or "1937" production - which today, are typically in the $4000+ plus price.

OK - now start kicking yourself...

As well - the mag release is correct - especially for later production HKs. While some strawed releases are noted throughout the production range, with straw being more prevalent in early production, clearly most later production were fire blued (in various hues, by the way). The takedown spring - while in the photo is strawed, can be correct either way as well, especially in 1940 - which could be construed as a "hodge podge" production year for Krieghoff for several reasons.

Also - the center toggle link, to me - looks just fine on the example, as do the buff marks on all the toggle train that I can see.

My guess - based on what I see in the pictures - is that this is an unboosted HK - but, if you were the purchaser, I'd also advise you to get it verified as authentic...

Next time - but as Norm notes - "buyer beware" at an auction!!!!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote