View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Post HK GESICHERT Die types......

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Strider:
<strong>......
Anything you can produce would be great.....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">and....

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by kidvett:
<strong>.....Do you want me to send you close up photos of that GESICHERT markings for your documentation.....

MARK </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">OK - here we go..........

The first photo is from an Early S. Notice the shape of the "G", and the serif on the character and the size of the letters....... Also NOTE the size of the "G" at the top-line of the character set (if you want to spot a fake HK - look there, too)

300 HK's later (into Mid-S Series now) - notice the die is a bit more worn. The letter are still the same size, with the lever covering certain baselines at, specifically - the lower-left "G". Same overall shape & "signature" as the earlier die type.

If you look at Mark's Early S in the previous thread (see Mark's "Early S" post), it carries better defination then this pic, as the die was less worn at that point:

OK - I'll skip Late S here, and look at a low serialized "36" (before 1936"). It's one of the first changeovers. Notice the characters are "blocked" and the "G" has lost the serif. Also, the lever covers more of the baseline - BUT - this varies as to how the die was applied to the frame. This is a terrific example of one of the first HK's produced with the later die type used in the majority of HK production quantities...

Fast forward to Early P-Code commercials....... Notice the die type. And based on the character formation, you can probably guessed when this was stamped...

Now - let's look at "1940". Take a look at the die above and below (which is why I said you could guess when the HK above was stamped). Same die - later progression.

OK - let's go to "1942" production (I'll skip a few years). Notice again - the same die type as was used throughout most of HK production - BUT - the die stamp is wearing here a bit. This is an early serialized "1942"

Finally - I'll skip some more iterations - and look at a post-war without ANY laquer fill to give you a good idea of the die, as it was stamped (this post-war is still "in the white").

Anyway - I hope this helps to show some examples of the transition and the differences. While I skipped a lot of years - I wanted to show the progression of the die types through HK manufacturing years....

Best to you,

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote