Unread 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Just my $0.02 worth of engineering/gunsmithing expertise...
As with all my posts/threads, ALL wags/experiences/mistakes are welcomed! Even if they are wrong/outdated/completely off-topic, they can stimulate me to explore avenues of thought I might not otherwise have considered. Others have even admitted to learning something new. <gasp!>

Pressing the staple in seems most likely. Staking, peening, welding are possible but would they bother with a part intended to only hold a pound of weight (if it hung from the lanyard)??? Probably not. The press fit would suffice.

That the area around the 'legs' is machined or finished after the pressing is curious. My 1900AE clearly shows grinding after the area was milled and then the staple pressed in. But my S/42 only shows the mill tool marks, which would seem to indicate that Mauser at least switched the finishing operations around.

All good stuff. But I'm still not sure if the loop itself will withstand repeated firings with a relatively heavy object hanging off of it...Or clamped to it...

Ed seems interested in removing his staple from that sawed-off frame. Hopefully he can add his experience to Bill's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
John, Maybe a duel purpose! Firmly holding the frame during the manufacturing process, ie dipping?
Yes, I also think that. Like the stock lug, the jigs and fixtures for those two appendages probably were used to locate or suspend the frame for further operations, and rather than design/manufacture new jigs, the various companies just used the old fixtures. They still served a purpose, even if not the original one. Why re-invent the wheel???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: