Thread: Civil War
View Single Post
Unread 11-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #11
Pistol
User

"From the standpoint of The United States of America, it was an armed rebellion. I guess it's a matter of perspective. Some jibber-jabber about "States' rights," but the seceded states only cared about one "right," which was the ability to legally own other human beings as property. Understandable, perhaps, since the cheap labor was the cornerstone of their economy at the time. Let's just be glad that our society is more moral than that now."

Some would object that they only cared about ONE "right". And I'm not so sure our current society is any more moral today. Not to get political, but we have a Gov. from VA that wore black face and played dress up in a white sheet. He also believes in infantacide. Yet the "woke" and "moral" faction of this country have no objections to that depravity. Even Jefferson Davis would know that is immoral.

No doubt that no matter what you call it, Civil War, War of Rebellion, War of Northern Agression, etc., it was indeed a bloody and costly one. The bloodiest single–day battle in American history was the Battle of Antietam when 3,654 Union and Confederate soldiers were killed on September 17, 1862.

And violence often carried over even after the war. One of my ancestors in TN was a Major for the Union. He had to testify in a trial in Knoxville regarding the murder of a man that was beaten and set on fire after the war. The four men that killed him were confederates and possibly killed him over something he did while they were gone serving.

I had another ancestor in NC that was a confederate home guard killed on the last day of the war. Talk about luck.

My 3rd great grandfather had an older brother that was in the Confederacy, and two younger brothers in the Union army. They said it caused tension within the family............a war that at times truely pitted brother against brother. Hopefully, our country will never go through that hell again.

Last edited by Pistol; 11-11-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Pistol for your post: