View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You didn't get hosed, as that is how Lee sells them. The 30 Luger and the 30 Mauser both take the .308-.309 bullet . Check out the interior of your Lee sizing die for mirror smoothness. I purchased a set of lee 30 Luger dies, and the sizing die was totally unusable due to poor finish(it looked like it had been finished with a rat tailed file).

On the 30 luger round, neck tension is critical to avoid bullet set back when the bullet goes up the feed ramp. You want .003-.005 in. of fit interface between you case neck ID and your bullet OD. Use a minimal crimp if you are using a taper crimp(which is what your Lee dies does) The LFCD applies a collet crimp, which is what I am currently using. I plan to put cannalures on a batch of FMJ bullets, and see if that helps protect against setback when loading .308 bullets.

I have loaded .308 in dia bullets with success in 30 Luger brass. Hornady makes a .309 dia. XTP HP bullet, and Natchez Shooting has them in stock currently. I have also had good luck with western Bullets LRN in .310 dia..

Look at the thread just below this one and a search will get you more information.

Last edited by rhuff; 07-20-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: To add info.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post: