Thread: Collectables
View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2001, 09:40 AM   #8
Marvin
User

Default Re: Collectables

Tom,

Some very good points which you make on the prices of Lugers increasing over time. Back approx. 25 years ago, a common Luger could be purchased for $150-$200 from the gun shows with a little "wheeling and dealing" in my area. Today, this same pistol sells for approx. $800-$900 from dealers and if you are lucky, may be able to buy it for $700-$750. This holds that they will increase in value just from inflation if you hold on to them for a period of time.

Even the Import marked and dip blued pistols will increase. Several years ago, the import marked pistols were selling at gun shows for approx. $400 for a matching numbered pistol. Today, AIM was selling the same condition pistol to the C&R collectors for $500. At the last gun show I attended, the pistols had a marked price of $800 (did not see any sell though) and the dealer would not come off that price but only approx. $75. So, the non FFL holders were going to pay this price to get an import marked Luger as a shooter. As the supply of these imports dries-up, the price will increase on them and this can be noticed on the Internet firearms sales auctions. What this will mean shortly, is that the non-Import Marked Lugers will increase in value as the imports creep up just from the "supply and demand" from new Luger pistol collectors/shooters want the pistols. I feel this is a prime time to buy Lugers as an investment, historical or shooter value. Unless you a dealer and want to buy to resell, buy a Luger for the enjoyment you can get from them and let them increase in monetary value at their own pace. At times, you will get very lucky and get one at a good price, watch for these and make that purchase. Several weeks ago, I made an excellent purchase on a fairly rare P.38 and paid approx. 1/2 of it's fair market value. This pistol came from a dealer, so the buys are there if you watch for them.

I enjoy this hobby with my main purpose to get different variations, look at the different stampings, machining, etc. I hope they will increase in value, but they are my "toys" and give me much pleasure to hold, look at, shoot, and think about where they have been, who owned them, etc. Make it a hobby and not a job unless you are a dealer. You will gain much pleasure from them. This is just my thoughts on this subject, and I appreciate other opinions.

Marvin