View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #18
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Bob,

You are right, of course. I'll have to do a better job of updating the post.

Ron,

One of the things I hope this survey illuminates is DWM's production flow. For instance, were there separate production lines maintained for P-08 (and 1914) military production and the corresponding Commercial production? Were there simultaneous Military production lines? Were Military and Commercial weapons interspersed, either individually or in groups? Are commercially numbered and proofed Lugers originally Military production which did not meet specification? (am I reinventing the wheel here and all this is documented somewhere?)

It strikes me that this kind of a production detail can provide a useful clue.

It is interesting to note that I have recorded no 1906-frame Commercial guns after #69111, except for your #71247 and a 1906 AE #93595(!). It is true, however, that DWM serviced Dutch contracts into 1914 (1906 frames), and provided Dutch parts to Vickers in 1921. Kenyon illustrates other sporadic grip-safety production into the Mauser era. Was a separate production line, or at least separate frame tooling, maintained for these purposes? Or did DWM perhaps have a several-thousand piece stockpile of these frames on hand? (unlikely, it would seem...)

--Dwight