View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
One thing that would help me, is what are the best books for a new collector?

As a neophyte to the world of Luger collecting, I'm looking for very basic information and photos. I've read the Davis catalog book; while I understand it may have inaccuracies I found it fascinating and a useful overall orientation. I have "Luger Tips" on order. At this stage I feel I don't quite know enough to decide which part of the production history I am most interested in.
In my opinion, the very best basic reference for a new collector trying to identify models and determine what era(s) of Luger production are of most interest is Charles Kenyon's "Lugers at Random". It is an old publication, 1969, so some of the specific information is out dated/incorrect and the photos are black and white and not of the quality found in today's references. However it is large format, not expensive and offers a very comprehensive pictorial overview of most of the model variations spanning the entire duration of Luger production. It is a good start.
Ron

P.S. Sorry Ed, I am contributing to hijacking your thread. Please move my and "4 Scale" posts to their own thread. Thanks, Ron.