Thread: Lahti-Da?
View Single Post
Unread 01-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #70
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
It also has the trigger guard that extends to the front of the frame. That style TG also has a more 'square-ish' profile than the later style.

No matter. It's a Lahti!

I posted this link on pg 1 - you might get an idea of when it was made...

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/m40/pist40_1.htm
That's my favorite reference when it comes to Swedish guns, but it can be a bit confusing sometimes. I wish they would sort it out a bit and show the different generations side by side in chronological order together with serial number ranges. And some info is just plain wrong, like for example:
Quote:
All Military m/40 pistols were melted down in Sweden

On the 23rd of January 1991 there was an accident with a blown up pistol m/40 in the Swedish Army, which resulted in physical damage to a soldier.

Since that time these pistols have been banned and now, according to a General Order, all of them destroyed. These Swedish pistols were never sold as surplus.
There's obviously plenty of surplus guns and many of them are still used by target shooters in Sweden, some of which were actually donated by the army for use in shooting clubs when they were taken out of service. Also, I did my military service in '82-'83, and I didn't get any pistol training as they simply didn't have any pistols left (ie: 10 years earlier than they state). The new issue gun (Glock 17) was accepted in 1988, and at that time there shouldn't have been any M/40s left in use.

In any case, that trigger guard is a bit ungainly looking, but on the other hand: This gun is a behemoth and the smaller trigger guard looks out of place IMO. Pretty or not, I think it looks like it belongs there. You just can't make an M/40 look elegant.
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post: