View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #63
thegundude
User

David, don't get me wrong. I don't live in a place where there's hardly any violence. And it's almost never against people like me anyway, being of above average build and in my prime. But that doesn't mean that I want to stand unprepared should something happen for which a gun is the only cure. But robbers and indiscriminate acts of violence can happen anywhere and at anytime. Just ask those to whom it has happened.

Yes, trying to keep out of bad places is helpful, no doubt. In fact it's the very first rule of thumb for staying out of trouble. But there are countless people who will tell you that they were in their own home, minding their own business, just running out for milk, etc, etc, that have had violence thrust upon them unbidden.

If you don't see that as ever happening perhaps you're not weak or elderly. One of the people who make the best targets. Ask one of them what they think about being able to defend one's self.

Add to that, I live in bear country. My home in Asheville has had black bear visitors on a regular basis. I walk my dogs every night and have seen them while out on those walks in the dark on three occasions. Nothing gets your attention surer or quicker than a bear suddenly forty feet away from you.

My point is, no matter where you live or who you are, you could find yourself in need of extreme personal protection. It's not a "mindset" or a nessecity of living in a crime ridden area. I may never need it, and I hope I never do. But if I do need it, a cell phone won't suffice.

What part of Canada are you from David?

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote