Thread: Civil War
View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Bill and Doubs, that is a cool thing to have known and seen.

I am a member of Sons of Union Veterans in Washington state - a charter member Ed
Ed, ALL of my own ancestors, including a GG Grandfather, fought for the Confederacy.... at least a dozen of them. They were all on my mother's side. All were Virginians. Of three brothers, one was killed, one lost a leg and was captured and another was captured late in the war. Another was with the First Nelson Light Artillery and had mortars that did terrible damage at the Crater. He was with General Lee at Appomattox.

On my father's side, another GG Grandfather was in the MD legislature and was arrested by order of President Lincoln as a suspected Southern sympathizer. His story is detailed in the "Official Records of the War of the Rebellion", a 128 volume set compiled by the War Department, in the section "The Maryland Arrests".

Andrew N. Kessler, Jr, was arrested in Frederick, MD, on 17 September, 1861, by Pinkerton men and Baltimore police. A steamer sailed from Baltimore to New York Harbor and then to Fort Warren in Boston Harbor where he was incarcerated. He was released just before Christmas after signing an Oath of Allegiance to the United States.

I was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans for awhile some years back.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: