View Single Post
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
Tango3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Be careful of over cleaning things. After most range sessions, I wipe the gun down, run a boresnake through it, lightly oil it and spray it down with a preserving gun oil like RemOil.

After several hundred rounds, I'll disassemble it and do a more thorough cleaning.

I store my guns in silicone impregnated socks or bore-stores. Beware of actually getting some forms of silicone on the gun surfaces. Blued surfaces, including the salt blued finish on your Interarms Luger, are pretty resilient. Just don't leave fingerprints or moisture on them for long periods of time. Don't store guns in holsters.

It's not a good idea to dry fire a Luger. The area of the breech face where the firing pin protrudes is rather thin, and it's all that stops the firing pin when nothing is in the chamber. Look it over to be sure it's still nice and flat.

I do think that these Interarms Lugers are collectible, but in a different sense and class as compared to military Lugers or DWM / Mauser commercial Lugers. There were not that many made, and few remain pristine examples. They are very well made, and their high cost of manufacture ultimately lead to them being discontinued. The market simply could not bear the high price. Estimates for reviving Luger manufacture today run into the $5,000 range.
Marc
What, specifically, is the danger (danger is probably too strong a word) of over-cleaning the weapon? I ask 'cause I know I'm OCD in cleaning (albeit carefully) my 11s but that hasn't been a problem with them.

+ on silicon socks. I use them on all my 11s and already have the Parabellum wrapped in its own. I wipe my guns down before putting them away, however, the non-blued finishes on them make fingerprints a non worry. I'll make sure to take care of that with this weapon. I never store my 11s in holsters and that'll even be easier with the Parabellum since it won't possibly fit in any I own. I conceal carry my 11s but have no plans to do so with the Parabellum. This is the very first handgun I own that violates a rule I have that it must have the capability for CC. Oh well, my rule to break!

++ on no dry firing! Thanks for enlightening me on why, though. Much different than the firing pin set up on large caliber 1911s. I have learned how to safely de-**** the P so as not to damage it.

I must say that I'm VERY impressed with the robust and precise construction of this class of weapons. I can see why these are not currently produced since their price would place them high in the custom 1911 market!

Thanks,
Eric
Tango3 is offline   Reply With Quote