View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #51
SailorBill
User

Smile Won the interarms luger!

YES. I won the bid for the Mauser Luger – for a second time! Paid $1300 (original winning bid was $1275).

What changed to make me do that again? Turns out, I got some bad information from a several local gun stores and FFLs. Initially, I had bid based on the entries in Simpson’s Internet catalog. They listed all the Interarms Lugers as C&R. When I contacted local FFL’s, they said the P08 framed Luger did not qualify because it was not described in the ATF C&R book. The C&R description on page 25 includes the words “Swiss pattern,” but not P08.

However, when I asked Simpson how they could include the P08 framed Mauser when the description on P25 of ATF’s C&R book only said “Swiss pattern” They replied:

“We have always interpreted the rule to include all the Interarms Lugers, regardless of frame style, which we feel is the intent of the rule. Most Luger dealers have this same interpretation without any problems.”

Following up on Simpson’s statement, I called KrauseWerk in nearby San Mateo. Their response was, “no problem, we can handle the transaction!” With that, I entered the bidding again!

For those of you interested, here is some more California information: As of 2014, all pistols must be purchased using a licensed FFL, even if you have a C&R federal license. One exception, if a C&R licensee purchase a C&R pistol out of state, she/he need only complete a form and file it with the state within five days after returning.

Also, before 2014, if you had a C&R and California "Certificate of Eligibility," you could have a pistol shipped to you without having to go through a regular FFL dealer. Unfortunately, as of 2014, “no pistol or conciliable firearm, regardless of C&R status can be ordered from out of state and shipped in, or sold within the state without going through a Class 01 Dealer FFL.”

Since California collects sales tax on the transaction, it appears that this new rule may have more to do with revenue than anything else.
SailorBill is offline   Reply With Quote