Unread 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Talking An 'Artillery' Nambu and Lahti

A faux 'Artillery' Nambu and Lahti !!!

Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith; I'm a gun hack. I'm not a collector; I'm an accumulator. I am not soliciting work; I have enough to last me the rest of my life. I only work on projects that interest me; I loathe 'production' work. My small essays are not meant to be tutorials; they are intended to spark interest in others who would like to experiment with unusual features but are hesitant to try something new. There is no one way to do something; there are many ways to skin a cat...

Note: Although this thread is specific to the Nambu, the techniques can be (and have been) used for Luger pistol barrels.

Through the years, there have been threads/posts regarding the Japanese Nambu Type 14 pistol. Several For Sale Nambu's, a few questions, some owner pictures. Lately, probably because of several magazine articles, the Nambu has regenerated interest. I have been intrigued by the Type 14 since the 70's. Recently, some members here selling their Nambu's have finally goaded me to buy one. It's pretty interesting, but as always, I was curious as to how it would look/function with a longer barrel, and in a more familiar caliber.

So I took a poll, first pic here. What barrel length was most appealing. Finding the results of that poll, I started another - Which of two 'artillery' lengths, and which rear 'artillery' sight? I have installed both the Luger artillery and the Mauser C96 rear sights on 'artillery' length Luger barrels.

I gathered my supplies (second pic), and set off.

The third pic shows the receiver preparation. Cutting, drilling, and tapping. Also along the way, several special 'Nambu-specific' tools/jigs/fixtures had to be made; they show up in pics here & there.

I'll be chambering this barrel in the 7.65mm Parabellum caliber ["30 Luger"]. The specs are close to the OEM 8mm Japanese cartridge, and I happen to like 30 cal bottleneck cartridges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poll_results.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	40529  

Name:	ArtyKit640_2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	40530  

Name:	arty_1a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	40531  

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-18-2014 at 03:36 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: