View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #45
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCurl View Post
Sieger,

I took your advice and lengthened my OAL rather than shorten it. I loaded a batch with the bullet seated for exactly 29mm OAL. I changed nothing else.

The first issue I faced was with the magazine that accompanies my DWM 1920 Commercial "shooter". It's an after-market magazine, brand unknown. Dimensionally it is too short (front to back) to accommodate rounds at 29mm OAL. I can place seven rounds of these longer rounds in this magazine, but it will not accept the eighth round. So I tried an original DWM magazine. They fit perfectly. Also with a WW2 military magazine. Therefore, I did my shooting this afternoon using these two magazines and not the after-market one.

The pistol functioned flawlessly over two full magazines.

Accuracy was somewhat disappointing, but I must confess my less than stellar ability with the Luger's spongy trigger pull.

You were certainly spot-on as to OAL.

More later.

Curl
Curl,

Your 1923 Commercial should have one of the better Luger triggers, as my 1920 Commercial has a really great one!

The "pull" of the Luger trigger is somewhat similar to the Mauser rifle triggers of the same period. It is a "double pull" trigger; that is, there is quite a bit of slack to be taken up before you reach the "solid" part of the pull. On my 1920's trigger, the slack is somewhat reduced over what I've typically experienced with a military 9mm Luger.

After you have taken up the slack, then you have to address the actual "breaking point" of the trigger. Here is how I have mastered it. With the tip of your index trigger finger, place it as low as possible on the trigger, while aligning the trigger in the middle of the top digit of your trigger finger. Do not touch the trigger or trigger guard with any other part of your trigger finger. Load up some primed only casings and practice your trigger pull. It takes just a bit of training, once you have examined how the trigger "breaks" and have adjusted your pull accordingly. If your pistol is a true "shooter" you may also want to give your sear and firing pin contact points a good polishing, as this will aid in smoothing up your "breaking point".

One note on reliable Luger function. With proper springs, both magazine and recoil, proper cartridge O.A.L. and proper powder type and charge, a Luger will function flawlessly. With my handloads, my 1941 byf has fired over 3,000 rounds with no malfunctions, whatsoever.

Hope this helps!

Sieger

P.S.: It's the last 1/10th of a grain that makes all of the difference!!!

Last edited by Sieger; 08-21-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote