View Single Post
Unread 08-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

The advice in the other threads is sound. Looking at your photos, the holdopen spring and basic operation appears OK. I've fixed this issue a few times and here are my bag of tricks. Basically I go down the list until the issue is fixed.
1. Push up on the mag base while attempting to hold open. If this results in improved performance, that is helpful to know although it doesn't immediately fix anything.
2. Remove the grips, operate the action and see if anything changes. If yes, the grips are somehow causing a bind.
3. If possible get a Luger that holds-open correctly. Carefully measure hold-open height when deployed. Compare the engaging surfaces of the hold open and the notch on the bottom of the breech block for wear.
4. Try a new Mec Gar magazine. Lugers can be magazine sensitive. Consider trying several magazines in search of one that will make the pistol hold open (I once tried 5 magazines to fix one pistol).
5. Ask G.T. to replace the spring in the Mec Gar with a stronger one. His contact info is available via a search.
6. Replace the hold-open spring.
7. Replace the hold open itself.
8. If, by comparison/careful measurement vs. other Lugers, you can measure that the hold-open is not going high enough, consider carefully removing metal to allow it to go higher. For most people this means send the gun to an experienced Luger-smith. I have done this myself on one pistol but don't recommend it to home gunsmiths unless you are absoultely sure of your skills, tools, diagnosis etc. Otherwise you can screw things up.

So far I've not had a Luger hold open function that could not be fixed with these steps. This seems to be a common malfunction and can be tricky to fix, but I can attest that is also satisfying to fix. If you don't want to do the above steps, pros like G.T. and Tom Heller are wonderful resources. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

When a Luger holds-open OK via manuel operation, but will not hold open with live rounds, sometimes that means the mainspring is too strong but it doesn't seem like you have hit that issue.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: