View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #65
Rick W.
User

The 'W" to me is not so bad, kinda like initials in a way.

If the "w" bugs you, then a microwelder is your friend. Abbynormals in metal are done everyday, just takes the effort to do it or find someone to do it.

Over the years, I have found that if I use a case with a bullet in it, that sometimes one can be fooled by the touch test in breeching. The bullet can touch the lands and give the feel of the shoulder bottoming out. Obviously the use of marking medium may show the way rather than guessing by feel.

Yeah, sometimes dies are a bit long for some chambers. SAAMI tries to help but sometimes things go astray. If one is convinced that the shoulder is too long, then the die can be put in the lathe and the bottom of said die touched a little. Note that dies are surface hardened, carbide is your friend to get thru the surface; after that HSS will be ok.

One can also use a revised shell holder. Think the folks market them as headspacing shell holders. Fancy name or marketing for pushing the case further up into the die. In reality, one can use a shim at the bottom of the shellholder between said shellholder and base of the case..........don't forget the hole in the shim or won't work so good.

Factory ammo in 30 Luger that I have looked at on occasion, I thought was way on the smaller side of known numbers. Guess they do that for working in most anything once.

fireformed cases from the working environment probably will be fine, just have to watch the touch on the resizer routine.

Headspace checks are always done with internals removed......don't want anything to fool the touch.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote