View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2001, 09:17 AM   #5
BCC

Default Great Input

Patrick, Thanks for the input, I enjoy discussing this with you. I generally agree with your comments...esp. on SS marked Lugers. You are in a great position (Germany) to tap into the German Vet perspective on such maters. I too lived in Germany for some time (about 31/2 years) and had some opportunity to discuss these things with former German soldiers, I will agree with similar revelations to your own. I would however like to add a couple of points:

1. P.38 production did not really exceed Luger Production on a "by year" basis until 1943! (Up until 1941, P38s were made in little more than troop trial quantities and in 1942 P.38 production almost tied with Luger production for the same year)

2. While many/most German soldiers may have preferred P.38s to Lugers...they used what they were issued or could scrounge and until some point in 1944 this would have been primarily P.08s.

3. Most Field Grade (Maj. and above) German Officers (many carried 9mm and many carried 7.65, most owned both I believe and it depended on the combat neccessity etc...) carried Lugers over P.38. I think this was due to the fact that they were comfortable with Lugers and already owned one.

Just a personal note, of the four main 9mm German WWII pistols, from a strictly combat perspective, I prefer the Radom to the others.

I also appreciate your knowledge on the VOPO/ East German reworks and have benifited from your postings on these over the months/years. Thanks