View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #11
wfw
New User

Lots of thoeries, very few facts on the red/blue question.

I don't buy the theory that the metal hardness has any effect. The metal hardness comes from the crystal configuration of the metal - density of dislocations, size of crystals, has the part been work-hardened (lots of dislocations, small crystals) or annealed (fewer dislocations, larger crystals), how much of it is ferrite/austenite/pearlite/martinsite, has the carbon begun to precipitate out as graphite, etc etc etc. The finish is just a surface oxide - that is, purely chemical - effect, and the underlying crystalline structure shouldn't figure into it, as all of the crystalline formations (except the graphite precipitates, if present) are chemically identical.

I also don't buy the theory that the parts looked reddish when they came out of the bath. But here there's some indirect evidence. I have a Ruger Mk 2 with a bolt which is slowly turning red. It was definitely the normal Ruger blue when I bought it years ago, but the reddish cast is now unmistakeable. However, the change is so slow that I doubt any of us will live long enoough to see exactly how reddish it finally ends up.

Of course this doesn't prove that all reddening is a function of elapsed time, as there could be more than one mechanism for this color change. That is, Lugers and Rugers may have different reasons for going red.
wfw is offline   Reply With Quote