View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hmmm - OK.... The first set of answers would be for someone who would want to "focus" on collecting Kriegs... After that, if I only wanted a "good" Krieg example to fill out my collection - there are the top choices there....

As a Krieg Collector who wants to focus on Kriegs.....

1) 1941 Military (small Digit). Gibson estimates about 100 produced - and they are finished very well. The smaller chamber date digits still offer the collector to make their mark, as no definitive/proved answer has been provided. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 8 as well for collectability and holding future value. (If you want to start with a $20,000 - $25,000 Krieg â?? go with a 1945. But Iâ??m guessing itâ??s an unrealistic first Krieg for most of usâ?¦)

2) "36" Military. Gibson estimates about 500 produced - and they are typically representative of the very early Krieg production and many had the fine checkered RITZMANN grips and excellent polish/finish. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 8 for collectability and holding future value.

3) 1938 Military. Gibson estimates about 50 produced. If you can find a legitimate 1938 - buy it, as they are very rare. Classic Krieg with course brown grips, later style toggle and super rare (most documented examples are in known collections). On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 9 or 10 for collectability and holding future value.

4) P-Code Series I Commercial (the "side-framed inscribed" Krieghoff). Gibson estimates about 960 produced. The holy grail for Krieg collectors - and even non-Krieg collectors know what they are. Be careful - this is one of the most often "faked Kriegs out there, though.... On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 9 or 10 as well for collectability and holding future value.

5) 1944 Military. Gibson estimates about 200 produced - and they are tough to come by. Representative of late production - you'll find some finish differences to early production. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 8-9 for collectability and holding future value.

or - try as 5 (I'm torn on the one above/below

5) G Date. The Krieg that was the first supplied under the contract. Need I say more?? [img]smile.gif[/img] On a scale of 1-10, I'd rated them a solid 9 for collectability and holding future value, but they are tough to find as well...

OK - if I only wanted one or two Kriegs in my collection.....

P-Code Series I Commercial (side frame inscribed);

or

a 1936 or 1937 Chamber date Krieg. These are more common, and with some excellent "ORIGINAL" condition examples to be scoffed up - along with their RIGs.

or

an original Mid-S (try for original wood grips, as most were plastic. Careful they arenâ??t replacements from other manufacturers ). Look hard for these - but the find is well worth it with their early style toggles and finish.

Hmmmm.......

I'd tell you my "personal" wish list is - but I'd be very afraid if one of you had them [img]smile.gif[/img]
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote