View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
m1903a3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
Barrel length by itself doesn't really matter. Sight radius is the big deal. Many older target autos had extended front sights, that went forward of the end of the barrel, to give added sight radius, for more precise aiming. If you put them in a mechanical rest, and take the human out of the equation, a 4" barrel will generally shoot as well as an 8" barrel. In rifles, bench rest shooters often use what is deemed a "shorter" barrel, because it is stiffer.
All other things being equal, I consider the Navy to be the most accurate of the three German military versions. While the LP-08 has a longer barrel, the Navy has the better combination of barrel length and sight radius.

I competed for decades shooting .58 Rifle-Muskets of the Civil War. While many preferred the shorter so-called "artillery" versions, I shot the standard ones with a 40" barrel. The sight radius on mine was exactly 1 yard! The weapons are amazingly accurate.

As for shooting the Lugers, I have found virtually all problems I've encountered were due to a magazine and not the pistol itself.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to m1903a3 for your post: