Beare
New User

Default Another 1908 commercial

Another DWM 1908 commercial for survey

1908 (no stock lug):
*serial number 69081
*proof marks, left receiver Lazy crown over N
*Stamped GERMANY or not? NOT, No import marks
*Recoil spring well spur or straight? Spur – Shaped for end of leaf recoil spring
*c/X c/X c/X military proofs? None: NO marks visible on right of gun
* additional noteworthy characteristics:

Has factory hold open (pin does not penetrate right side of frame).
No halo on any of the marks.
C/N proofs on barrel & left side of the frame shallow and seem rather sloppily done.
No bore diameter stamped on barrel. Crown N and S/N only marks on underside of barrel.
Grip panels have no serial numbers. What looks like a lower-case “i” is stamped on the inside of both panels (font looks like courier); a very ornate 2 on the right panel & a capital M on the left.
Phantom numbers. ±883 is stamped very lightly (or possibly buffed out before bluing) between the lazy c/N and the reset pin on the sear. The 8’s seem to be the same font as the others on the gun. There is no comma between the 8’s. These are the most carefully aligned marks on the gun. These numbers are visible to the unaided eye in good light only if you are expecting to see something there and the area is dry (I keep the gun soaked in CLP). I’ve owned the gun for 30 years and only noticed them in this photograph.

Normally strawed parts are black. The takedown lever, safety lever, trigger , ejector, and mag catch are a shiny deep black. The trigger & takedown lever are numbered to the gun.
I see no signs of any significant amount of metal (pitting or numbers) having been removed from any of these parts. The underside of the button on the takedown lever is hollow and the bottom of the resulting well is white (not straw), which suggests it was not fire blued, or dipped, or blued over straw. These parts probably re-blued (& very nicely) but inside of frame was not: gunmetal color on magazine tracks, stark white in the cutouts for the holdopen, and nice red rust on the inside of the frame ears and the inside of the recoil spring well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247 small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	73546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2230 small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	73547  

Beare is offline   Reply With Quote