View Single Post
Unread 11-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Good points Norm, I'd say that I hadn't thought of that. I do look for other signs of a reblue.
To reblue a gun you have to do what?
Smooth is over, ensure all the previous bluing is gone (means either manually strip or chemically, usually manual is also done). Once the gun is stripped, then it has to be smoothed, but not too much, too much sand paper and too fine will make it shine like Rudolph's nose.
Then you blue it - to get it to be right, you have to 'scrape' off the scales (rust), not once but numerous times. Everytime you scrape off, you are losing metal off of the markings, edges, etc.

I look for weak markings - be advised that sometimes markings are not stamped as hard as others, or the metal is a bit too hard.
In the left side 'ear' of the rear toggle, it should still show swirls of working / making it. When its too smooth, its a sign.
The edges of different parts will still be 'sharp'.
The numbers on the barrel and markings is not stamped as hard - look at that.
The bluing should be reasonably the same color, different parts blue different - so if darker and lighter, keep that in mind, although there are some times a different color, from the factory - plum on the receiver happens in later lugers.

ETC....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post: