Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #61
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZ View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by funky in regards to the specs I gave for the two different Sig and one of PPU ammo.

I presume you don't mean funky, as in music, and the only other definitions I can think of are either, filthy or questionable.

The Sig specs are from right on their boxes. Like I wrote, they're all I have to work with, so I have to trust that they're reasonable guesstimates, and at least good enough for relative comparison. Certainly I should be able to trust that one box of Sig ammo is hot than the other. My question, still unanswered, is if the hotter one is too hot and the slower load not hot enough?

With the PPU ammo, the only spec given on the box is the bullet weight, 115 gr, the same as the two Sig loads. Different websites selling this ammo (when it's in stock) give different muzzle velocities. So using one of the many calculators on the Internet for calculating muzzle energy are going to give different ft-lbs depending on the muzzle velocity input. In that earlier posting I gave a low one compared to one I just now found for the exact same ammo. based on both the photo of the box and the UPC on the box.

PPU Handgun Line 9mm Luger FMJ 115gr, 1145fps, 335 ft-lbs.

Like I said, I feel I can take what printed on the Sig boxes as a good guesstimate. PPU is something else.
Herb,

I have listed the commercial ammo of my preference and knowledge of function.

Is Muzzle Energy really the determining factor, though, obviously, quite an important one?

Really, the only true test is to fire the lowest rated ammo and test it for jamming.

Use others at your own personal risk.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post: