View Single Post
Unread 11-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #25
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Glen, I've seated the 90 grain Hornady XTP bullet for an OAL of 1.56". It works well in my .30 Lugers. CFE Pistol Powder burns clean and seems to have the proper impulse to work the Luger action. I also use it in my 9mm Lugers.

Whatever OAL you use, two things are important. First the cartridge must feed through the magazine. I've had magazines where the bullet would hang up on the notch that secures the magazine in the pistol. The OAL was too short and seating the bullet out a little more cured that problem. The second issue is the chamber itself. I have an old barrel taken off of a Portuguese 1906 Luger - their M/909 - and I drop every cartridge I load into it's chamber. If they seat properly, I have no problems in my Lugers.

For my more modern pistols such as my Benelli B-80 and Browning Hi-Power, I have to seat the bullets deeper as they have chambers with short leads that will not chamber my Luger loads.

If your Mauser loads using 85 grain bullets work OK then stick with them as the bullet weight is very close to the original 86 grain Mauser bullet. If you try 90 grain bullets, reduce your powder load some.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: