View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
fg42
User

Default The paratrooper and the 92 Winchester (Sorry Long)

The paratrooper and the 92 Winchester (Sorry Long)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading on Gunboards in the War stories board the thread "Great-Grandfather's story (plus notes) (Lengthy)". In which the writers great-grandfather, a British soldier relates that for a time he carried a Winchester lever action in action. This is causing a lot of disbelief and correcting the story By other readers. I believe that the old man might be remembering the truth and this story is why I feel that way. In 2001 my wife and I were on a "Bike Barge" tour of the Netherlands. I left the tour when it was possible to visit WW II sights and museums. In the Netherlands there are many WW II museums they are usually called 39-45 museums. I visited several and I am not 100% which one I saw this in but I think it was Neimeagan. There was a mannequin with a full paratroopers uniform and all the equipment he carried. At the mannequins side was a 92 Winchester. This didn't appear right to me so I asked why it was there. The Museum's curator told me that it was right. During operation " Market Garden" the US soldier was killed on a local farm. The farmer buried him and his uniform & rifle & equipment separately. This area was German occupied for almost a year. When liberation finally came the farmer came forward and showed graves registration the sites. The next of kin ( in Texas?) were notified that all of his personal belongings were intact. They said that since the uniform rifle, etc., were going to be in a museum that was being put together that his personal items should stay also. The curator showed me the holes in the back from a MP40 ? A canteen carrier held a supply of 44-40 lead bullet shells. He told me exactly the amount of money in the pockets to this day. The curator had no explanation for why the soldier had a 92 Winchester except that apparently he was familiar with it and decided to fight the war with it. Sorry this was so long but it was a great story to hear and retell. Bob Benson PS- 2 days later we watched the second plane fly into the Twin Towers live.
fg42 is offline   Reply With Quote