View Single Post
Unread 02-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Pauly, I think you have your identification of this Luger correct.

That serial would be early in the commercial "v" block used by Mauser for these commercial pistols.

The magazines are both military accepted. The first period correct for earlier Mauser military magazines, the second correct for the late 1940 through 1942 period.

The bakelite base magazine is more valuable because it makes any 41 or 42 "byf" Luger a "magazine matching" Luger...

It looks like the pistol is all numbered in the commercial style. Is the side plate numbered on the bottom? Is there a number inside the side plate? Is the safety lever numbered on the bottom?

I have a 1937 Mauser Luger with similar but less extensive pitting and finish loss on the left side. Since it's all matching, it has become my "shooter". I believe this pattern of damage is what you see in long term storage of a Luger in it's holster in a humid environment.

You can make the Luger "pretty" by spending money to "restore" it, but you can never make it original again. It's more valuable as it is than after a restoration, if you consider the combined cost versus what you'd likely get out of selling it after restored. My recommendation would be to leave it as is, and consider using it as a factory fitted shooter - preserving the rest of your collection.

Here's mine for comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShooterLugerh.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	81936  

The following 6 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: