Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 04-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #56
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZ View Post
Isn't our main concern with shooting a Luger, is that it functions properly, and without damaging the pistol. Then wouldn't the specification we should be most concerned with is muzzle energy? If the original German Army specs are a 123 gr bullet at 1,076 fps, that's 316 ft-lbs. May we assume that's a good solid amount of energy for safe and reliable functioning, and plenty enough "for war."

Then NATO spec 9mm of 124 gr at 1261 fps would have a muzzle energy of 438 ft-lbs. If I'm doing the math right, that's a 38.6% increase in muzzle energy. That can't be good for any Luger to run a couple of boxes through once in awhile.

So here's a real life problem. When Ohio's lockdown is over for sure, I've a nephew and some grands that want to shoot my byf 42. Everyone had already bought a box of 9mm at Cabela's. I certainly don't want to damage the P.08, but shooting underpowered ammo may cause malfunctions. There's a box of Sig; 115 gr FMJ, 1185 fps, 359 ft-lbs, another kind of Sig; 115 gr FMJ, 1050 fps, 282 ft-lbs, and a box of PPU; 115 gr FMJ, 990 fps, 250 ft-lbs.

I know we can't be absolutely certain of any of these specs, made in the USA or Serbia, but they're all I have to work with here. I'm thinking the hottest is too hot. Maybe the middle one is in the Goldilocks zone? Is the PPU ammo too underpowered?
Hi Herb,

The Sig and PPU specs. you have listed look funky to me.

Do you reload at all?

If not, The Fiocchi 123 Grain Combat round (truncated cone bullet almost an exact replica of DWM's original bullet) has worked perfectly in my BYF 41 AND is NOT overpowered!

Your grand kids may have to wait a little longer until CV 19 mess straightens up.

Good shooting!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote