Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #47
Sieger
User

Don,

If you want to chance it, then please go right ahead.

I was involved, in a very lengthy thread, just a while ago, on this very subject.

If our readers would like to read the warning, printed on each box of Winchester 9mm NATO ammo, (the warning is readily available on the internet), they may. In it, Winchester warns that 9mm NATO ammo is loaded to pressures 10 to 15% higher than standard industry specs. for the 9mm Luger. This ammo has been available at Walmart stores from time to time, and is, apparently, a military over run with primer seals and crimped in primers.

This Winchester 9mm NATO ammo has caused breach block slap in my Lugers.

Another HOT 124 grain 9mm NATO loading, as marketed by PPU, has a VERIFIED 1,261 (maximum) fps from a 4.5 inch barrel.

Obviously, there must be a variety of modern foreign military surplus ammo available here in the U.S. This ammo was designed for modern submachine guns and more modern pistol designs than the Luger. All of this ammo should be suspect when fired through a Luger.

One final item. There seems to be quite a variety of comments on and total misconceptions (some actually comical) of the definition of, causes of, and prevention of breach block slap. Please look for a future Sticky by me on this most misunderstood topic, as breach block slap will, eventually, destroy your Luger! And no, it was non existent with original spec. German Army ammo.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 10-29-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote