View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Ron Smith
User

1.If I understand this right there are no special markings from Mauser that will be 100% waterproof evidence that it was made for the navy?

Correct, not after mid-1940.

2.Are there any special serial sequences that are allocated for navy guns?

I do not know of any specific Serial Number blocks. Approximate quantities procured by the Navy according to Still's Third Reich Lugers, 1940;3000...1941;3000...1942;2500 for a total of 8500 Lugers.

3.Markings were added by Marinewaffenamt and there is no sure way to know if the markings are not added by someone with the right tools later.

Markings were applied by Navy armorers. Most were applied with a pantograph machine. If the markings are stamped or engraved, it should be considered suspect. Although I have seen markings that appear to be crudely engraved, that were declared by collector(s) to be legitimate.

4. If the local Marinewaffenamt did not feel like engraving navy eagles they were handed out as is. (If they were not a part of a ships inventory).

The order to cease marking was issued mid-1940. It's possible that some were marked after, but not likely. The markings were applied by the base armories at Wilhelmshaven Ostsee Station, or Kiel Nordsee Station, for issue to Vessels as well as Naval ground forces at those respective stations.

Our resident Navy expert is currently ill. And I am basing my reply on what I have learned from him, and Jan Still's "Third Reich Lugers". As well as my own meager knowledge on the Navy Lugers.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote