Unread 02-10-2001, 09:38 PM   #13
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Again, Kyrie..:)

I thought I would change the subject line

Based on yours and others replies, this is an interesting discussion - to say the least. Further, and on reflection - the points you are making are both excellent and compelling... That being said, let me ask you a few questions, if you don't mind..

- If folks do change out parts for "matching" serial numbers but non-original parts - I'm getting the impression that you would suggest that they return the "non-matching" numbered parts if they go to sell it in the future? To that point - I'd absolutely agree. That way we/they/whomever would not contribute to falsification of that Lugers identity in the future. Your analogy above is very well taken (the traffic accident and the responsibility of the driver) as contributing to a greater "wrong" perpetrated on unsuspecting bystanders.

- If a part doesn't exist on a Luger - are you also suggesting that we acquire a part that is intentionally "mismarked"? I'm not sure where I stand on this one - so I'd invite your thoughts and comments.

Kyrie - this is a tremendously interesting discussion - and I am guessing there are on this Board who are reading these thoughts - whether they choose to interact or just watch on the sidelines. It is an issue which is at the core of collecting - and frankly, I think many are considering the ramifications within context of their own collecting experiences. I know I am - and I appreciate the ability to discuss these without resolving to flaming or dissolving the dialogue into acrimonious accusations.

My Best To You Always, Kyrie !

John D.